Dr. Daniel supports Oral Cancer Awareness Month and encourages his patients to get screened for oral cancer in Murfreesboro, TN. Although being diagnosed with any type of cancer can be a frightening experience, there is hope, especially if the condition is diagnosed early on.
How to Detect Oral Cancer
Seeing a periodontist at least two times a year can help increase the chance of early detection of oral cancer in Murfreesboro, TN. Being aware of any changes or unusual symptoms can also lead to an early diagnosis. Here are some symptoms you need to be aware of; they could indicate oral cancer or another underlying health condition.
· • White or red patches in the mouth
· • Rough spots, lumps or thick areas in the mouth
· • Painful wounds or sores that bleed easily and do not heal
· • Pain, swelling or tenderness of the lips
People who smoke, consume alcohol or are over the age of 40 have a higher chance of developing oral cancer.
Living With Oral Cancer
If it is not detected during its early stages, oral cancer can quickly spread deeper into the body, affecting the organs. Approximately 54 percent of people who are diagnosed with oral cancer have a life expectancy of five years from the date of their diagnosis. Those who survive are also more likely to develop the condition again. To improve the outcome of living with oral cancer, Dr. Daniel recommends you to do the following:
· • Maintain a healthy diet
· • Use fluoride toothpaste
· • Use a soft bristled toothbrush
· • Avoid mouthwash containing alcohol
· • Establish and maintain good oral hygiene
· • Drink plenty of water
· • Follow all treatment orders from medical and dental providers
· • Check mouth daily for unusual changes
Taking the right precautions and visiting the periodontist regularly can help you avoid oral cancer and catch it before it progresses. Early detection and proper treatment can considerably improve your dental and overall health.
Contact Periodontics & Implant Dentistry of Middle Tennessee at (615) 200-1199 to be screened for oral cancer by scheduling your appointment with Dr. Daniel today!
Currently rated by 0 people