(Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure)
Basic Steps of the LANAP® Protocol
The Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®) is a minimally invasive form of surgery for the treatment of periodontal disease. The technique typically does not require the placement of stitches and usually results in only modest discomfort afterwards. Used in conjunction with good home care and professional follow-up this technique has been shown to regenerate the soft tissues and bone destroyed by periodontal disease. It is a powerful tool to help us reach our primary goal: to help our patients keep their natural teeth, in comfort and health, for a lifetime.
LANAP® Step by Step
- When you visit Drs. Daniel and Gaydos-Daniel for LANAP®, they will use a probe to check the depth of your gum pockets and gauge how much gum tissue detachment there is around the roots of your teeth.
- The next step is to get rid of the bacteria and diseased tissue between your teeth and gums using the PerioLase® MVP-7™ laser. This revolutionary tool sends therapeutic light energy right to the source of the problem to attack bacteria and infected tissue with very little impact on surrounding tissues.
- Now Drs. Daniel and Gaydos-Daniel may use the laser to denature the tarter/calculus under your gums before switching to little ultrasonic scalers that will sweep the particles away.
- Clotting some blood around your teeth is next. Using the laser again, Drs. Daniel and Gaydos-Daniel will gently manipulate the bone and tissue until some blood appears and forms tiny clots. These clots will serve as natural barriers to bacteria and provide a healthy environment for your gums to heal.
- Now it is time to compress the gum tissue to the roots of your teeth where it will reattach on its own – stitches are usually not needed.
- The last step is to readjust your bite – especially important if you have bone loss – to ensure your teeth are nicely aligned and functional.
- LANAP® is one of the most gentle and effective gum surgery alternatives available today. To find out more about getting this revolutionary laser gum surgery in the Murfreesboro, TN region, call Dr. Daniel and Dr. Gaydos-Daniel today.